Friday, November 4, 2011

Biases




I don't know what you are like as a human being in this world, but I have idiosyncrasies, histories, mysteries and complexities.  And of course, biases  .Especially when it comes to things that interest me and that I love; like movies.  I don't think it's even possible to be totally neutral and impartial.  So let's not pretend.

I am a New Yorker, I have a New Yawk and particularly a Brooklyn bias. 
I love, love, love Martin Scorsese.  Has he ever really made a bad movie?  Not in my opinion.
Also, Spike Lee, Sidney Lumet, Woody Allen,  and James Gray get mad love. 
My favorite European cinema is Italian, especially Fellini and Antonioni.
My favorite Asian cinema is Hong Kong, especially Wong Kar-Wai.   And my favorite WKW is In The Mood For Love.
As far as sci-fi goes I like post-apocalyptic or dystopian. Hard Sci-Fi. I don't much care for fantasy.
I like crime sagas.
Citizen Kane is Great, no doubt about it and I think you should have seen it and if you don't like it, I respect you a little less.
Cameron Crowe, Alexander Payne and Jason Reitman - meh.
I frickin love Pixar!
I tend to like things that can be described as; dark, gritty, realistic.
I'm pretty tired of "indie" films that are "quirky".
I like the city at night as a setting.
I like hard-boiled detectives and shadowy film noir anti-heroes.
I'm a sucker for a good coming of age film.
I think Zack Snyder and Michael Bay make fascist propaganda.  I detest their superficiality and cringe when I hear love expressed for their shallow products.
I am suspicious of and repulsed by movies that you have to "turn your brain off" to "enjoy."
My favorite actor is Al Pacino - in the 70s.
I'm a Criterion Collection addict. 
I really appreciate a good strong ending.
Oh yeah, I love Terrence Malick.






No comments: